Friday, May 30, 2008

The Sage Who Became a Scientist

by S.V. Narayanan

Professor S.K. Rangarajan. Hundreds of his students considered him as their remarkable teacher, their ideal "Guru." Several of his colleagues found in him a great friend, always ready to help either to solve difficult mathematical equations or to overcome some inconvenient professional problem. But persons like me, who by the good fortune of a family relationship had interactions with him for over 50 years, considered him as our mentor, a man who shaped our lives. But for him, I know, I would not have learned the basic tenets of life.

When I had my first contact with him, he was just 21 and I was 18. Event at that young age, Rangarajan, as many used to say, had a 'grey' head on 'green' shoulders. He was sure of his fundamental principles. He knew by instinct, what was right and what was wrong. That way he was able to guide the youngsters who had the good luck to be near him. He was never loud or abrasive. He never thrust his views forcefully on others. But his persuasive tone and his own exemplary way of living had a great impact on youngsters.

It was way back in 1956 or 1957, under his influence, I was reading Gandhiji's "My Experiments With Truth." That book affected me so much that I blindly tried to follow some of Gandhiji's practices, especially the food habits. I was trying to avoid sweets, cut on quantum of food, skip snacks, and what not. I became, as I realised later, somewhat abnormal, with a sort of superiority complex enveloping me. Rangarajan noticed this change and spoke to me. What he said then is still fresh in my memory. "Look! I can understand the impact Gandhiji's book had on you. But remember, everybody cannot be a Gandhiji. Without Gandhiji's noble temperament and absolute sincerity, merely copying his actions can lead you nowhere. Gandhiji's experiments were based on Truth, Love, Ahimsa, Simplicity and Straightforwardness. Imitating his actions without cultivating that strong base, you are just deceiving yourself." When i reflect on that timely advice of Rangarajan, a man just 22 or 23 then, I could not but admire even now the greatness of mind he showed at that young age.

Many may not know that Rangarajan started his career, first as a tutor in Madras Christian College, Tambaram, and later moved on to a clerical post in a Central Government office. He disliked the routine work of a government clerk and decided to shift to a job of his liking. He willingly went for a Lecturer's job at Alagappa College, Karaikudi, Tamil Nadu. The salary there was considerably less than what what he was drawing as a government servant. It was a bold decision, because some of us criticised him for choosing a job at a lower salary, and away from Madras city. But, he was firm and that crucial decision was a turning point in his life. He never looked back. I was with him for over a month at Karaikudi during that period. I saw how he enjoyed mixing with students. Math is a bitter pill to many. But his students had no particular difficulty because of the gusto with which he taught them.

It was at Karaikudi that he met Professor K.S.G. Doss, the then head of the Central Electro Chemical Research Institute, CECRI. Rangarajan and Doss had a fruitful collaboration that resulted in a lot of creative scientific output. From then on, Rangarajan moved up the ladder, became an important scientific officer in CECRI, and subsequently moved on to the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore as a Professor. At a later date, he was chosen by Appointments Committee of the Central Government to take charge of CECRI, as its Director. We have seen many people, including scientists, who lose their poise and become hot-headed, once they taste success in life. But Rangarajan was an exception. He was what he was throughout, the same simple, honest and unassuming person. Though he was the chief of a big institution, he was easily accessible to all, particularly to his students and friends. His peers admired him for his talents and ability. But his friends and disciples simply loved him. He was such a lovable character.

Many of us, perhaps, may not know that Rangarajan had a good ear for music. He had a very good voice too. He used to sing Sai bhajans. On the occasion of his marriage we made him sing and he gave a nice rendering of a Bhajan. His love for music continued through his life. When he visited our house, he made it a point to sit with my children for some time. My children were then learning some lessons on the instrument Veena. Despite his engagements, he would cajole them to play on the instrument and would listen with real enjoyment. He loved children and children also found in him a very dear uncle. He would talk freely with them and would willingly play a game of cricket or carroms with them.

Rangarajan firmly believed that if at all he had achieve anything in life, it was all due to God's grace and his father's blessings. He loved and respected his father immensely. His father, Sir Krishnamachari, was great in his own way. In the prim of his life, he lost his wife and was shouldered with the responsibility of bringing up a family of three sons and two daughters. Though remarriage was common in those days, he was not for it, and took it as his bounden duty to look after his children. Rangarajan, as the eldest son, took up the responsibilities from his father when he came of age. His love for his brothers and sisters was legendary. Till his end he was so much to attached to them that he made it a point to visit them every now and then and extend whatever help he can to them.

Rangarajan had a very smooth family life, mainly because of my sister Santha. Rangarajan and Santha were so devoted to each other that in their 52 years of married life I have never seen them even have any harsh exchange of words. My sister Santha stood like a rock behind him during all his trials and tribulations. Because of his marital bliss, Rangarajan was able to pay full attention to his scientific work.

Rangarajan drew his strength form another source too. Seeped in Vaishnavite philosophy, he considered it as a great blessing to visit temples in Srirangam, Tirupathi or Guruvayoor. He was specially drawn to Guruvayoor, perhaps due to the influence of his father who used to recite 'Narayaneeyam' daily during his lifetime.

Daily Aradhana was a must for Rangarajan and he loved reciting pasurams from 'Nalayira Divya Prabhandam.' When I visited his house at Bangalore last year, he made me recite pasurams from Thiruvoimozhi. As I was reciting, he got emotional and tears swelled in his eyes.

I saw Rangarajan in March this year (2008) at Madras. He had come to attend the funeral of my eldest brother S.V. Jagannathan. Though he was not well he insisted on coming all the way from Bangalore to Chennai to pay his last respects to my brother. He had a special regard for Jagannathan. Because it was he who successfully forwarded the marriage of our sister with Rangarajan.

Rangarajan is no more with us in the sense that we may not see him physically again. But when I read Divya Prabhandam pasurams, I feel that he is there in front of me keenly listening. When I hear the Gita lectures of Velukkudi Krishnan on TV, I feel his presence near me and remember the suggestion he made some time ago to spend a month or two at Alwar Thiruangari and have the benefit of hearing Thiruvoimozhi lectures by respected Shri Bhoovarahacharya Swami. When I play on my Veena in my own slipshod way, I seem to hear his soothing advice: "Practice more, Narayanan. Age is no bar for that."

Old people live in memories. A septuagenarian like me is no exception to it. The memories of Rangarajan continue to inspire me to do my bit in this world. We have heard of Philosopher Statesmen. Rarely we come across sage-scientists. Rangarajan was a unique combination. He was a sage by temperament and a scientist by choice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A moving narrative, excellant. People like Shri Rangarajan are rare. Please convey my regards to your sister Smt Santha Rangarajan.