Friday, May 23, 2008

Indian Institute of Science Remembers SKR

from Dr. K.L. Sebastian, IISc

I was lucky to have known SKR closely for a long time. I did not have the fortune to be a doctoral student of his, as I was already into the third year of my research when he joined the IPC dept. But I was associated with him as a postdoc. The interaction that I had with him has changed the course of my life. He was a genius. As my close friend Jyothi Basu used to say: the others that we meet, we can easily understand them and reach their levels of attainment (if we try), but with SKR that was impossible. He was in a class by himself. A true Genius and a marvelous person. We were privileged to have known him.

Please visit http://www.iisc.ernet.in/news/Profskr-in-memory.htm, where Dr. Sebastian has written in memory of SKR for the Indian Institute of Science.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks to all of you for sharing Periappa's story. His whole life was an inspiration to the rest. My wife Vidya has saved a copy of the letter to sudarshan. Periappa will be proud of all of you!
Heres another tribute to periappa in tamil
http://andaiayal.blogspot.com/2008/05/prof-s-k-rangarajan.html
Raja